Friday, March 20, 2015
Monthly Update on Novel
I've done two major rewrites so far. The first happened at the end of Act I when I realized that the secondary character arcs were much less developed than the main one. To fix the problem, I separated the book into three files, breaking out the chapters into three independent stories. My goal was to make each storyline compelling in its own right, giving each character the depth and motivation needed to drive their actions. It turned out to be a really effective approach. I'll probably go through that process one more time when I have an end-to-end draft.
The next rewrite happened just a few days ago. The plot had moved in a direction that resolved some of the major conflicts too early and wasn't setting the stage properly for the big finish in Act III. I ended up going back through the entire book and rewriting quite a few scenes to set up what proved to be some major changes in the way Act II would end. It feels back on track, and I hope to finish Act II over the weekend.
I took a break a few days ago to play around with some cover art concepts. Don't worry. This isn't the final version. What I want to end up with is something that gets across that it's a fantasy trope within a cyberpunk setting, with a kick-ass female lead.
Anyway, if I continue at this pace, I should have a full draft some time in June. I'll check back in before then for another update.